Friday, January 1, 2010

On Emoticons

Personally I'm not a huge fan of emoticons. I don't like that I sometimes feel compelled to put a little smiley at the end of a post to let people know that I'm joking, so that I won't offend someone who is sensitive. People should just get my sense of humor. I do.
Scott Fahlman is the man credited with inventing the smiley emoticon back in 1982, to help distinguish serious message board posts from jokes.


His original message:

19-Sep-82 11:44    Scott E  Fahlman             :-)
From: Scott E Fahlman
 I propose that the following character sequence for joke markers:
:-)
Read it sideways.  Actually, it is probably more economical to mark
things that are NOT jokes, given current trends.  For this, use
:-(


Emoticons could be cool though, if they were used as an expression of art. There those out there who, like me, use what are called "emoticons" as art, instead of a quick way to say "Please don't get mad at what I wrote." Here's my latest work:
: -|
That is a portrait of the "inventor of the smiley" himself, Scott Fahlman. There's a lot to be learned from a portrait like that. Notice how the smiley man, isn't really smiling. When you look at my portrait, you probably sense the conflict inside the man who belittled such a sacred art form forever.

For further evidence, here is a truly inspirational piece written 10 whole years before Fahlman "invented" the smiley.


Talk about an emotional roller coaster. I don't know about you, but when the bubble popped, oh man! I totally didn't see that one coming!

=^)

...That was not an emoticon... it was a self portrait. :)

...Ok, That one WAS an emoticon.

No comments: