Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mancave Beautification Project # 1: From Russia With Love

As I said in my last post, the decor for my mancave is going to be mostly themed on the retro stuff that I loved as a kid (and still love). My first project was my biggest one, themed shelves to go around that nice TV.

Here is the TV when it was naked:

Nice TV, ugly space, let's nerdify that spot! I wanted shelves to hold DVDs, Books, and other decor, but I wanted the shelves themselves to add to the overall theme of my room, so I took the best thing to ever come out of Russia:

And I drew up some plans:

I love video games. I love Russia (lived there as a missionary for my church). These shelves would be perfect.
So, you can wipe that smile off your face Mr. Plank,

'cuz I'm about to go all Silar on you and cut off the top of your head so I can take your powers... and build you into shelves.

Initiate building pictures sequence!
THE WOOD CUTTING!


THE BUILDING OF THE SHAPES!

THE SCREWING OF PIECES TOGETHER!!

LOOKIN' VERY NICE INDEED!!!!

AND!!!
The finished product, I beveled the edges so that the individual shapes would stand out:

Let's get all panoramic on this for the money-shot:

A closely shot panorama warps things a bit, but you get the picture. By far the coolest thing I've ever built.

2 comments:

laura said...

Josh---you are amazing! The shelves are awesome--and the clock, you've got to show the clock!

laura said...

I see the clock post--very cool stuff Josh!