Monday, March 29, 2010

Would You Do It?

A couple of years ago I made this guy for a sharing time Sunday school lesson:
His name is Goliath, and he has taught me some perspective. It's only a picture, and his hand didn't come out right (I always have trouble drawing hands proportionately), but this guy is big, and whenever I look at him I think, "Would I have had the faith to go out and face this guy, with just a sling?" But that's the point, I guess. David had more than just a sling. He had God on his side and he knew it. 

Below is the whole picture, I took a huge piece of this fibrous paper (used for construction, not art, but it will never tear, it has to be cut), a pencil, eraser, a sharpie, The Bible and a calculator, and calculated his measurements based on his description in 1 Samuel 17:4, "And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span." Then I used my proportions as far as shoulder width, waist, arms, legs, etc. to height, to calculate what his proportions would be.
Dang. That dude was big. I've heard of people facing "their own personal Goliaths," and have even thought that I have faced some of my own giant sized trials in life, but when I look at this guy, I don't know if I know what facing a Goliath is. Would I have charged in against this guy when I was just a young man? That spear + those arms = impaling me and about 5 or 6 other guys behind me to a tree before I raise my sling. I don't know. But I can tell you that I would do it now, no questions asked, even though I am now significantly older, fatter, and less in shape than David was when he faced him. Because I know what David knew. I know that it is all true. That God loves us, and can be our strength if we let Him.

3 comments:

Dylan Todd said...

Oh man. Those hands.

Sarah said...

That.Is.Awesome! So cool. I want you to be in my ward!

Josh said...

If Goliath had hands like that, David probably would have had a good laugh at him in between hitting him in the head with a stone and chopping his head off.